Key Features of ISSCENS
WEEK 1: will begin on a Wednesday and will teach basic programming and software engineering with an emphasis on the particular interests of environmental science students.
WEEK 2: will continue with software engineering and computing principles. Later in the week we will introduce advanced visualization and compiled languages.
WEEK 3: will cover material for high-performance computing, including serial optimization, high-throughput computing, MPI, and OpenMP.
FOLLOWING 8 WEEKS: After attendees have completed this summer school they should be well prepared for internships with modeling groups at any NASA laboratory.
Those students who were selected for the 8 week-internships will travel to their assigned NASA research centers immediately following the Summer School.
2.5 week summer school :
- 20 students will be admitted
- Summer school will take place at The University of Virginia
- Housing will be provided
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided on weekdays and a stipend for dinners and meals on weekends will be paid
- Each student will receive an allowance for travel to the Summer School and, if selected, to his or her internship site
8 week NASA internships:
- 10 students will be selected from the Summer School participant pool
- Internships will take place at various NASA centers
- Interns will receive a stipend of $600 per week in addition to the travel allowance